Sunday, March 14, 2010

I See Said the Hooters!

Last November I walked in the Breast Cancer 3 Day in Dallas. It was an amazing experience. And, I did it. I walked all 60 miles. Miss Little Uncoordinated! And even more amazing than walking all that way is that I, city girl Cheryl, camped in one of these tents.
And I used these porta-potties for three days straight. Well, not these two exactly. They didn't keep moving them so I could visit the Cowgirl Restroom.A strange feeling develops as you get ready to exit the potty. You feel like you're forgetting something. Um- like flushing! Not required. Please exit the building

Oh! And I took a shower in a truck!

My favorite part of the event was walking through the Cheering Stations. Having complete strangers cheer you on for walking makes you feel like a rock star. It doesn't matter who you are, they're out there thanking you for walking and you're thanking them for cheering. And I'm tearing up right now thinking about how wonderful it feels.
You find yourself asking, "How much further to the cheering station?" Getting there is the motivation. Walking through the cheers keeps you going. The Susan G. Koman Foundation really does a great job at organizing this event. Seeing all the funny boob jokes on signs, the vans decorated in themes, the medical staff, the staff at street crossings- it's just a good thing. They keep you walking, too. People like this:

Signs that say: Save a life! Grope your wife!

Walking into the finish line on the last day- amazing. moving. emotional. relief.
No seriously! I had to pee for about a mile or two back! I needed a porta-potty!Closing ceremonies were especially cool to watch. In the photo below is my friend Rosie McGuill in the pink shorts. She's a breast cancer survivor. She's standing next to her husband Michael who also walked.
I left the weekend feeling both exhausted and exhilarated. Accomplished. My only injury were matching blisters under the toes next to the big toe which both fell off eventually but they're growing back fine now.

I'm walking again this November 5, 6, & 7, 2010 with Heather and Katie from last year. My sister Leigh Ann and blogger buddy, Claudia are also joining us. If you're feeling generous, I'm walking again and need to raise some cash. Feel free to donate by clicking here!

My boys asked me about the event while we were driving one day. "What's breast cancer? Why did you walk that far? What are breasts?" Boobs- giggle, giggle. Boob jokes with an 8 and 9 year old boys.
JB asks, "Why are boobs called hooters?" Oh my. Enter lame explanation from mom here. Then he brings up the restaurant, Hooters. I ask, "Do the girls at Hooters have big breasts?"

In a heart beat in his straight talking, matter of fact voice with an excited tone, JB replies,
"Yeah! And big eyes!"

2 comments:

rachel's life. said...

Great achievement! My mum had breast cancer and has received the all clear :-) As part of my weight loss I'm going to sign up for the 5km Race for Life to raise money for breast cancer research. Not nearly as tough as your challenge though!!

Cheryl Houston said...

Rachel- so sorry your mom had to go through that but so glad to hear she's got an all clear. Good luck with your 5k.